Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Nikon 1 V1 - My Like & Dislike

 On the third day of Christmas, the little Nikon 1 V1 came all the way from Kuala Lumpur and now returned to where it came from.

I kind of missed the little snapper.

During our short acquaintance, here are some of my like and dislike of this new Nikon offering.


Like...

The incredible high frame rate of the electronic shutter, couple with the very fast focusing; and the compact 30-110 zoom, a great little camera and lens combo for shooting actions!

I re-look at the shots I took at the Karori Park...

This was the only opportunity I had for action shots, it was none stop rain the next five days!

All the shots were taken with the 30-110 at the 110 mm setting. Aperture priority at f5.6 and ISO 800.









Dislike...

The softness of the images from the 30-110 lens, I expected sharper results.

Also if you are shooting RAW and JPEG at the same time, you will be lucky to get 6 or 7 frames and the camera will freeze when the buffer run out.


Like...

How the shooting info are display on the screen, oh... the incredibly true to life EVF (Electronic Viewfinder), especially in low light!

The very large thumb rest on the top right, may be it should be raised slightly to prevent your right palm activating the other dial and button.

Dislike...

The very loose mode setting wheel which get accidentally adjusted every time you pick up the camera!

For instance, I notice a decisive moment shot, lift the camera from my chest and fire... guess what the bleeding wheel was accidentally moved to movie instead of the green "Still Picture" setting!



Like...

The "magnifier" button which allowed me to change shutter speeds or apertures settings easily.

Dislike...

The "F" button which let you select the type of shutter to use!  Hello... why do you need to change to electronic or mechanical shutters often?
Don't you think this button is more useful if it allow you to switch between shutter or aperture priority mode?


Like...

The tiny SB-N5 flash and the ability to bounce in different angles and direction.


Dislike...

Very costly, very low output; to bounce effectively you need to use ISO 800 and above and f4.5 minimum!



The beauty of bounced flash, soft shadowless light.
I wish I have more time to test the other features of this new little Nikon,  I would like to thank Nikon Malaysia for loaning me the test set.

No comments: